Pediococcus acidilactici is a species of gram positive cocci that is often found in pairs or tetrads. It is a facultative anaerobe and homofermentative bacterium that can grow in a wide range of pH, temperature and osmotic pressure , therefore being able to colonize the digestive tract. P. acidilactici has emerged as a potential probiotic that has shown promising results in animal. It is being used as probiotic supplement in treating constipation, diarrhea, relieving stress and enhancing immune response among birds and small animals.
Benefits of Pediococcus Acidilactici :
- - Treat parvovirus.
- - Digestive disorders.
- - Feed along during antibiotic treatment - helps normalize the intestinal microflora.
- - Used as alternative medicine against parasitic eimeria.
- - Stimulates humoral immune system.
- - Reduce the number of oocytes.
- - Supports digestive disorders and weak immune systems.
- - Modulates intestinal bacteria communities.
- - Stimulates nonspecific immune response in tilapia.
- - Increased leucocyte levels.
- - Reduces the susceptibility of shrimps to bacterial pathogens.