Saccharomyces boulardii are oval cells with thick-walled cells which are approximately 10 µm long by 5 µm wide . It belongs to the same family as S. cerevisiae but differs on the genetic, non-pathogenic , biotherapeutic , metabolic and physiological levels. S. boulardii does not make a ascospores and does not use the sugar galactose as carbon source. It is very resistant to heat and acid and secretes a number of unique physiologically active factors. It has been found to be an effective probiotic that combats a wide range of gastrointestinal disorders. It has also shown to weaken the effects of microbial disease caused toxins. S. boulardii cell wall makes up approximately 30% of the dry weight of the cell and is primarily composed of polysaccharides (85%) and proteins (15%).
Benefits of Saccharomyces Boulardii :
- - Improved feed efficiency in broilers.
- - Effective treatment to diminish campylobacter and salmonella.
- - Maintainence of electrolyte transport in jejunum.
- - Decrease the severity and duration of clinical signs of acute enterocolitis.
- - Decreases reocurrence of diarrhea.
- - Treatment of several gastrointestinal diseases.
- - Maintains healthy gut flora.
- - Prevents antibiotic associated diarrhea.
- - Used in both acute and chronic health conditions.
- - Used in inflammatory bowel disease.